DURHAM, N.C. - Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) has been named to Seramount’s annual list of 2023 100 Best Companies for working parents. This will be the 17th consecutive year Blue Cross NC has been named to the list.
This award is based on companies providing inclusive benefits for families, including paid gender – neutral parental leave, subsidized childcare, bereavement leave after miscarriage, reimbursement for fertility expenses, and increased mental health benefits for employees.
Blue Cross NC proudly offers these employee benefits to support working parents and others in caregiving roles:
- Parental leave: 12 weeks of parental leave (maternity, paternity, and adoption), and an additional 4 weeks of paid leave for the birthing parent.
- Caregiver leave: Employees who are approved for FMLA to care for a loved one can get up to five days of paid leave in the year.
- Subsidized childcare: Blue Cross NC provides matching contributions up to $500 annually to a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account to be used to pay for daycare expenses for qualifying dependents.
- Reimbursement for fertility expenses: Fertility treatment is covered under Blue Cross NC’s employee medical plan, including two IVF cycles. Additionally, Blue Cross NC has an Adoption and Surrogacy Reimbursement program that provides up to $10,000 reimbursement of eligible expenses per event, with a lifetime maximum of two adoptions/surrogacies.
- Bereavement leave: Paid leave is available for employees who experience the loss of a child due to miscarriage or still birth.
“I am so grateful to work at an organization that truly cares about its employees,” said Jami Sanchez, Senior Communications Advisor at Blue Cross NC. “The hybrid flex work environment made scheduling doctors’ appointments stress-free and allowed me to work from the comfort of my own home right up until the day before I had my baby. Knowing I have resources available for mental health or finding childcare significantly helps alleviate stress, especially at a time of such huge transition.”
Receiving this honor is a testament to Blue Cross NC’s commitment to offering resources and benefits that help parents balance work and family.