- Allows early prescription drug refills
- Extends deadlines for claims submissions
- Allows 30 day extension to pay premiums for members
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – In light of the recent federal disaster declaration impacting seven coastal counties, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) has taken steps to ensure customers’ health care coverage needs are uninterrupted.
“Member health and safety are our primary concern and we are taking these steps to help customers focus on their most immediate needs,” BCBSNC President and CEO Brad Wilson said. “These steps will ensure that our customers can get the health care and medications they need.”
Effective immediately, the following policies are in place for BCBSNC customers and enrolled accounts in the seven counties (Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, Dare, Hyde, Pamlico and Tyrrell), as long as a federal disaster declaration is in place:
- Allow members and employers within the disaster area to delay paying their premiums for 30 days.
- Allow members in the disaster area to get an early prescription drug refill or replace a lost or destroyed prescription –if they make a request within 29 days of the disaster declaration.
- BCBSNC will also provide a 30-day extension for deadlines related to:
- Submission of claims
- Filing of appeals
- Requests for authorization of medical services
- Additions of newborn and adopted children to a medical policy.
- Members within a disaster area who need additional flexibility on premium payments, medications or other requirements should call the customer service number on the back of their member card.
Please remember: BCBSNC always advises members to go to the nearest hospital in an emergency.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is a leader in delivering innovative health care products, services and information to more than 3.7 million members, including approximately 900,000 served on behalf of other Blue Plans. For 77 years, the company has served its customers by offering health insurance at a competitive price and has served the people of North Carolina through support of community organizations, programs and events that promote good health. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Access BCBSNC online at bcbsnc.com.