- Cost information, out-of-pocket expense estimates and quality information for non-emergency procedures now available to BCBSNC customers on the redesigned Member Services site.
- BCBSNC offers this information in response to customer requests and LetsTalkCost.com conversations.
- Redesigned BCBSNC Member Services site receives website design awards from the International Academy of Visual Arts and Interactive Media Awards.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. –Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) customers now have access to medical cost information, out-of-pocket expense estimates and quality information for imaging facilities and hospitals when they log in to the Member Services website at mybcbsnc.com. Providing this information helps eliminate some of the mystery and anxiety associated with paying for common procedures, and is part of BCBSNC’s commitment to help customers make better, more informed decisions about the care they receive.
The amount a customer pays for a particular medical procedure often varies based on the location chosen and the customer’s specific policy. BCBSNC customers now can comparison shop before making a decision about where to schedule a procedure. Customers can also review an estimate of the out-of-pocket costs based on their specific policy.
“Consumers wouldn’t go for an oil change or buy a dishwasher without knowing how much it costs. Why should health care be any different?” said Susan Menendez, director of Strategic Provider Relationships at BCBSNC. “The data we’ve made available on mybcbsnc.com will help clear up confusion and empower our customers to make better informed decisions.”
Member Services Site Redesigned:
BCBSNC customers find this new cost and quality information by using the “Find a Doctor” search tool on mybcbsnc.com. Recent enhancements allow customers to:
- View cost information for 59 elective, or non-emergency, procedures such as MRIs, CT scans, colonoscopies, mammograms, pediatric well visits and knee replacement surgery. The search will continue to be updated with additional procedures and cost data.
- Sort information by:
- Treatment cost
- Out-of-pocket cost
- View quality information for:
- Imaging facilities based on accreditations achieved from national accrediting organizations
- Hospitals and their Blue Distinction Center® ratings
“We redesigned the Member Services site with the goal of making it uncomplicated and easy to use,” said John Roos, BCBSNC chief sales and marketing officer. “I think, based on the positive feedback we have received from our customers, we have accomplished that goal.”
Updates to the redesigned Member Services include:
- A visual display of the customer’s current benefits utilization right on their personal homepage.
- A more intuitive display for both in- and out-of-network benefits and an easier-to-understand expense breakdown.
- Access to the Health Care Summary Report for all plan subscribers.
- Prescription copay information included on the Prescriptions Overview page.
- Enhanced search capabilities.
The Member Services redesign has increased customer satisfaction scores by 14 percent and earned two website design awards. The International Academy of the Visual Arts awarded the site a 2011 W3 Award in the insurance category, and the site received an Outstanding Achievement Award from the Interactive Media Awards.
To view the updated site and search for cost and quality information, BCBSNC customers can log in to Member Services at www.mybcbsnc.com. Customers can also visit www.bcbsnc.com/newforyou to watch a video overview of the redesigned site, or visit www.bcbsnc.com/mycost for details on how to use the treatment cost estimator.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is a leader in delivering innovative health care products, services and information to more than 3.7 million members, including approximately 900,000 served on behalf of other Blue Plans. For 77 years, the company has served its customers by offering health insurance at a competitive price and has served the people of North Carolina through support of community organizations, programs and events that promote good health. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Access BCBSNC online at bcbsnc.com.