- Free mobile application for iPhones designed to help busy BCBSNC customers make quick, informed health decisions.
- The app features four functions including an urgent care finder, a prescription drug finder, customer service access and a health notes section.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) today announced the launch of HealthNAVSM1, a new mobile application designed to help on-the-go customers access information and manage their personal health care. The free app is now available for download by customers with an Apple® iPhone®, iPad™ and iPod touch®.
“Too often, our customers will head to the emergency room with a sick child, wait two hours to be seen and then realize they could have visited an urgent care center and paid a lot less,” said John Roos, BCBSNC senior vice president for sales and marketing. “In situations like this, customers can now use our new mobile app to access health information in a fast, easy-to-use format. We’re leveraging technology to give our customers a better experience.”
The 1.0 version of the mobile app features four functions, including:
- An urgent care finder that helps customers locate in-network urgent care centers, as a more efficient and affordable alternative to emergency rooms.
- A prescription drug finder that allows customers to compare average drug costs, and find cheaper alternatives while they are discussing options with their doctor, or in preparation for a visit.
- Customer service access that provides customers one-click access to call a customer service representative when they need answers quickly.
- Health notes that let users store notes about personal and family health in one place, and includes suggested questions to ask your doctor during a visit.
“This is a first generation mobile app for BCBSNC,” added Roos. “The company has plans for more apps and for availability on more smartphones in the future. We believe the launch of this mobile app will provide our customers with a relevant tool that will make it easier for them to do business with BCBSNC.” The trend of downloading applications to smartphones has accelerated in the past nine months. According to Nielsen, which conducted a survey among 4,000 mobile subscribers last month, iPhone users lead the pack, downloading an average of 40 apps.
“HealthNAV empowers me to get the most from my health plan,” said Michelle Douglas, communications specialist for BCBSNC. “When I can locate an urgent care center that keeps my children and me out of the emergency room, or when I have information at my fingertips to discuss lower cost drug options with my doctor, I save time and money. As a working mom, both are important to me.”
To download the app, simply visit the iTunes® store, search for BCBSNC and click download, or click on any of our mobile ads, which link directly to the description page in the iTunes store.
You also can learn more about the app by visiting bcbsnc.com/mobile, viewing our video or following us on Twitter using the #HealthNAV hashtag.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is a leader in delivering innovative health care products, services and information to more than 3.7 million members, including approximately 900,000 served on behalf of other Blue Plans. For 77 years, the company has served its customers by offering health insurance at a competitive price and has served the people of North Carolina through support of community organizations, programs and events that promote good health. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Access BCBSNC online at bcbsnc.com.
Apple, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.